If you have just moved into the community or have lived here 20 years and don't know what a Knox Box is, then please read further!
What is a "Knox Box" ? This is a black steel box that gets bolted at a location outside of your home. Inside the "Box" is a house key, info on any pets that may be in the house, emergency contact information, and any other pertinent info you want in the Box. The Box is locked with a special key which is kept in a secure key box at the fire house. That key box is mounted on the fire apparatus and takes a code to retrieve the key. That is just another level of security so no one can access our key without using a code first.
Why a Knox Box? If you are not home and your fire alarm goes off, our fire department will come to your house to investigate. When they arrive and see no sign of a fire through any of the windows and you do not have a Knox Box they can not enter your home to look for the fire or protect your pets. If you have a Knox Box then they are able to enter to investigate the location of the fire and deal with it. On the other hand, if they arrive and see a fire and you have no Knox Box they must use an ax and brake down a door to put the fire out and save any pets in the house.
Additionally, if you are home and medically incapacitated, the fire department can use your Knox Box key to let medical personnel in your home to get to you
If You Already Have a Knox Box: Your Knox Box may have been installed for many years and your information may have changed, OR your locks may have changed, OR you need to add or change an emergency contact data, OR you may have added a pet or no longer have a pet. In short, the info in the Knox Box needs to checked to see if the info is still up to date.
How to Make Changes or Get a Knox Box?
To install a Knox Box, make changes to the info in the box or have questions, call our fire department at 864-868-6767
and arrange for them to install one or open your box so you can review the information in your box. The cost of a Knox Box is $ 285.00 if you do not have one.
On 8/13 Chief Phil Black gave an overview of the capabilities of our fire department and answered many questions. Some of the highlights:
- They have earned and qualified for a ISO 3 rating on a scale for 1 -10 with 1 being the best. This puts us in the top 7% of fire departments in the USA. (Which has a positive impact on our home fire insurance)
- If you think you have a gas leak, the fire department has equipment to locate it. Call them to check it out.
- Knox Box service - In case your alarm goes off while you are not home, this allows the fire department to enter your home without breaking down the door. If you do not have one or you have not updated your Knox box call the fire department and request a checkup.
- Insurance for helicopter ambulance service "Air Med Care". This will cost less than $ 90.00 per year per household or pay $15,000.00 to $ 25,000.00 per use! Contact Air Med at www.AirMedCareNetwork.com.
- If you have a boat doc, the fire department has equipment to check and insure you do not have any electricity in the water around your doc. Even if your doc does not have electricity on it, you could have electricity in your water from your neighbors dock leaking electricity.
As was pointed out we are blessed to have Phil and his team supporting us.
Update provided by Rocky Odman